The ideal home to live in is one that is safe and secure. Modern home security has stretched beyond awareness on possible break-ins and property damage. The presence of the internet has made it easier to get remote access to the home even while you’re away from home. Through the mobile apps of the home security service, you can remotely check on your kids, pets, shut off water from a faucet left on, control your automatic door locks and even control your light switches. The basic aspects of home security include:
- Surveillance of your home and the immediate surrounding
- Sensors for detecting motion, fire, water, smoke and other potential dangers in your home
- Locks for physically securing your home
Choosing a Home Security System
Visible cameras helps to deter potential burglars, and also provide recorded footage that can help in prosecuting intruders. When you have cameras with internet access, you can see both the interiors and exterior parts of your home while you’re away. This can help to avert possible home accidents and emergencies. Depending on the size of your home, you should choose a system that adequately caters for your security needs. If the home is large and has numerous access points, you should go for the full option traditional systems. If it’s a small rented apartment, you can go for a portable, all-in-one system or opt for a customized security system.
Benefits of Installing a Home Security System
- Independent studies have shown that areas where most homes have a form of home security system installed experience fewer residential crime rates. Having a home security system not only keeps that particular home safe, but also makes the entire neighborhood safer for everyone there.
- You get enhanced remote access to your home when you install certain home security systems. For instance, you can check on your lights, door locks and other devices in your home through the security cameras installed throughout your home.
- Home alarms are great for scaring off intending burglars and some systems can notify the area’s local authorities if there is an attempted break-in. This means that you get better protection for your valuables that could be lost to home invasions.
- When you’re not at home, an automated home security system can remotely notify you when your smoke detector or carbon monoxide alarm goes off. For some service providers, they can set up the system so the relevant authorities are contacted in case of fire emergencies.
- Using your service provider’s mobile app, you can watch what’s going on in your home while you’re away. That way you can check on what your kids are doing. You can even remotely unlock your automatic door locks so you can let your children in after school. That eliminates the need for you carry keys that you could possibly lose, with you.
- When you get a security system installed in your home, you can negotiate for a lower home insurance charge.
- You get better electricity management as well. If you left the house while some gadgets are still plugged in, you can have them turned off by remotely accessing your security system through a smartphone. This is also a means for you to control your lights to make it look like there’s someone home while you’re away.
- You get a sense of peace from knowing your home is secured, so you can focus on other important issues.
DIY Home Security Systems
While the regular home security systems installed by experts have their inherent benefits, there are other affordable do-it-yourself (DIY) systems available. They don’t require any extensive technical knowledge, wall drilling and are relatively easy to install.
Basic Steps to Installing a DIY Home Security System
- To install the wireless panel, choose a spot close to a power source and your main entry door. You can use a hammer and a small nail to pin the panel to the wall or use a double sided adhesive if you’d rather not make a hole in your wall.
- Your chosen system should have alarm sensors, motion sensors and perhaps, security cameras. They usually come with guidelines so you can easily place them on optimal locations.
- When you’re done, you should test the system to see if everything is functioning properly.
The DIY systems may not offer the advanced components such as pet-immune motion sensors, fire alarm, carbon monoxide monitor, or panic button that the regular security systems have. Also, if any part of the system fails, you have to make the repairs yourself. For a traditional security system, the service company will fix any faults for a minimal fee or even free. While DIY systems are affordable, easy to install and operate, they are not suitable for all homes. Traditional home systems have more options and give you better security coverage. You should carefully weigh your requirements before you settle on which is best to install in your home.
There are over 2 million home break-ins reported every year in the United States. Of those break-ins, 30 percent occurred through an unlocked window or door, and 23 percent occurred when the homeowners were at home. Considering how scary the statistics are, it is important that you do everything you can to protect your home and your family. One of the best things that you can do is to have a home security system installed. Statistics show that homes with security systems are 300% more likely to be broken into, greatly reducing the chances of someone breaking into your home.
Hard Wired Systems vs Wireless Systems
There are two types of home security systems available, wireless and hardwired. A hard wired system is wired inside the walls, making it a permanent fixture in your home. Wireless systems do not need to be wired into the wall, making them a good option for renters. Hardwired systems require a landline phone for the system to work. Wireless systems require a cell phone. While the two systems are different, they are both equally effective when it comes to protecting your home.
Home security systems offer a variety of features to keep your home and family safe. The features that you choose depends on your own personal need. You have the option of just taking advantage of just a few features or you can use all of them.
- Door Alarms: Door alarms are a very effective way to protect your home. When the system is armed, and someone opens the door, an alarm will sound. This will alert everyone in the home that someone has broken in. The sound is often loud enough to alert the neighbors and possibly scare off the intruder. When the alarm is tripped, the system will also send an alert to the alarm company, who will alert the local authorities. Many of the systems available also have a door chime. When the system is not armed, the door will chime each time it is opened, alerting you that someone is coming into the house or leaving. This is an excellent feature for families with small children or elderly adults who may wander off.
- Window Alarms: Window alarms are a very important part of a home security system. Intruders often choose the window as their point of access. A window alarm will sound when the window is opened or broken when the system is armed. This will alert you, your neighbors, and the authorities that someone has entered the home. It could also scare off intruders. Like the door alarms, when the system is not armed, a chime will alert you when someone opens a window. This feature can be especially beneficial for families with rebellious teenagers.
- Panic Button: Most alarm keypads, which are installed in the home have a panic button feature. The panic button will immediately alert the alarm company when it is pressed. This is excellent if there is an emergency in the home or if you feel that your safety and your life is in danger.
- Motion Detectors: Motion detectors are a great way to alert you if there is someone in the home when they shouldn’t be. When the system is armed, and it senses motion, an alarm will sound and the alarm company will notify the police. If you have pets, they will not cause problems with the motion detectors. Most systems will not be triggered by pets who are under 50 pounds. Motion detectors can be placed in the home or outside in the yard to alert you to people walking around in the yard.
- Surveillance Systems: Video surveillance systems are a great way to protect the home. Most intruders will not try to enter the home when they see that there are cameras installed around the house. They also offer video evidence if there is a break-in. If the intruder is arrested, it is great evidence to use against them in court.
- Remote Key Chains: Most systems come with a remote key chain. This will allow you to disarm the system before you even get up to the door. It also allows you to arm the system after you have left the house, rather than rushing out the door after it is armed.
- Smartphone Apps: Most of the updated home security systems allow you to link your system to your Smartphone. When the system is linked up, you can turn the system on and off from anywhere. If you are on your way to work, and realize that you forgot to turn your system on, you can do it without needing to go back home. You can also disarm the system in time for the kids to get home. If you use video surveillance, you can view what is going on in the home in real time from your phone or computer. This is a great way to check up on the kids when they are home alone.
Are Home Security Systems Affordable?
Many people avoid having a home security system installed because they think that it will be too expensive. This is not the case. You can afford a security system on just about any budget. The system itself is relatively inexpensive, and most security systems offer deals for the price of the system often. The monthly fee, which pays for the alarm company to monitor your home, is very affordable as well. Most companies charge between $20 and $50 per month. The monthly fee would depend on the company and the amount of features you have included in your system. You cannot put a price on feeling safe and secure in your home, and knowing that your loved ones are safe as well.
There is nothing more important to you than protecting your home and your family. The best way to sleep easier, knowing that everyone is safe, is to have a home security installed. It is the best way to avoid being another statistic when it comes to home break-ins.
Security is most essential in homes as many people would prefer having peace of mind guaranteed rather than worrying about what could happen when they are not around at home. This has brought about the security systems at home which are simply is dedicated systems that puts its resources together for more complex system that will offer more functionality and performance to secure entry points at home like the windows, doors and even the gate. Security systems work through a network of inter-working components and devices that communicate to the command center in case of any security breach. all this component have key role they play in ensuring security is up to par i any home or residential area. Most of the security components or devices are set to either limit any criminal offence from taking place or to alert the owner and the offices when a criminal offense is about to happen or in process. however some of the security systems are there to keep check of those who are in the house like kids. some are to check on emergencies like fire or house flooding with water. All in all the security systems should be quite effective in all directions.
The security system contains different components which include:
That contains easy programs to arm or disarm the security system, it communicates to the other components, works with voice commands and it also sounds the alarm.
Doors and windows sensors:
That is installed adjacent to each other such that when the door is closed, the two parts of the sensor are joined together causing a security circuit, which the control panel interprets as breach of security when the security circuit is broken.
The system has these sensors to help create an invisible zone that cannot be breached without the alarm sounding.
Are also available and they can be wired or wireless to be used in different ways to secure the home. Decibel alarm; is also contained in the system to sound loud for people to hear and to scare the burglar away.
Yard signs and stickers:
This ensures to keep the burglars aware of the dangers they will get into if they decide to break in.
Types of home security systems
There are many types of security systems one can choose from depending on the needs and budget one has. These include:
1. Monitoring system
This is where the system communicates to the monitoring center like the security company through a landline, cellular link or the broadband. The cellular link is the best option since it is faster and the alarm system will not go down if the telephones lines are cut off, the broadband is faster compared to the landline link though and it is cheaper.
2. Installation system
This can be done professionally installed or the DIY installation, the DIY are wireless making the installation process easy since one can install it without the help of a professional. The professionally installed system requires a professional who will ensure the system is set up properly and this comes with the some installation fee and it can be wireless or hardwired depending on the issuing company.
3. Home automation system
This is the system where one controls his or her home from a smart phone or a web-enabled device. The system enables and controls the lighting system at home, locking doors and gaining access to different places in your house when you are not around.
The different types of security systems at home allows one to chose the best system that fits his needs and budget. If you are a homeowner or your renting, there are a variety to choose from and depending on whether you want to have total control to your home through mobile access.
Benefits of security systems at home
Assures one of safety
One can remotely manage his home from anywhere using a web enabled device or a smart phone
Most insurance companies provide up to 20 percent discounts when you have the security system at home
Helps to protect the neighborhood since the stickers in front of the houses already gives the message to the burglars intending to rob
Notifies in case of fire or gas leak
Helps improve the electricity management since you can control it from anywhere away from home. it also
secures less frequented areas like the garage and the basement areas
Peace of mind is at least guaranteed
There are no worries that come when you know you can monitor you home 24/7. This means when anyone comes close to the door or window or even the gate, you are already aware. Hence there are no surprises that can come your way
Cost of security systems
The systems is not expensive compared to you life since you will be guaranteed of the security at home and everyone there. However the cost depend with the budget plan and the number of installation you want to do. The professionally installed system may be more expensive compared with DIY because of the installation fee and also depending with the company issuing it.