Home Security Benefits and Features
There are over 2 million home break-ins reported every year in the United States. Of those break-ins, 30 percent occurred through an unlocked window or door, and 23 percent occurred when the homeowners were at home. Tim Smythe from 6webs stated, “considering how scary the statistics are, it is important that you do everything you can to protect your home and your family”. One of the best things that you can do is to have a home security system installed. Statistics show that homes with security systems are 300% more likely to be broken into, greatly reducing the chances of someone breaking into your home.
Hard Wired Systems vs Wireless Systems
There are two types of home security systems available, wireless and hardwired. A hard wired system is wired inside the walls, making it a permanent fixture in your home. Wireless systems do not need to be wired into the wall, making them a good option for renters. Hardwired systems require a landline phone for the system to work. Wireless systems require a cell phone. While the two systems are different, they are both equally effective when it comes to protecting your home.
Home security systems offer a variety of features to keep your home and family safe. The features that you choose depends on your own personal need. You have the option of just taking advantage of just a few features or you can use all of them.
- Door Alarms: Door alarms are a very effective way to protect your home. When the system is armed, and someone opens the door, an alarm will sound. This will alert everyone in the home that someone has broken in. The sound is often loud enough to alert the neighbors and possibly scare off the intruder. When the alarm is tripped, the system will also send an alert to the alarm company, who will alert the local authorities. Many of the systems available also have a door chime. When the system is not armed, the door will chime each time it is opened, alerting you that someone is coming into the house or leaving. This is an excellent feature for families with small children or elderly adults who may wander off.
- Window Alarms: Window alarms are a very important part of a home security system. Intruders often choose the window as their point of access. A window alarm will sound when the window is opened or broken when the system is armed. This will alert you, your neighbors, and the authorities that someone has entered the home. It could also scare off intruders. Like the door alarms, when the system is not armed, a chime will alert you when someone opens a window. This feature can be especially beneficial for families with rebellious teenagers.
- Panic Button: Most alarm keypads, which are installed in the home have a panic button feature. The panic button will immediately alert the alarm company when it is pressed. This is excellent if there is an emergency in the home or if you feel that your safety and your life is in danger.
- Motion Detectors: Motion detectors are a great way to alert you if there is someone in the home when they shouldn’t be. When the system is armed, and it senses motion, an alarm will sound and the alarm company will notify the police. If you have pets, they will not cause problems with the motion detectors. Most systems will not be triggered by pets who are under 50 pounds. Motion detectors can be placed in the home or outside in the yard to alert you to people walking around in the yard.
- Surveillance Systems: Video surveillance systems are a great way to protect the home. Most intruders will not try to enter the home when they see that there are cameras installed around the house. They also offer video evidence if there is a break-in. If the intruder is arrested, it is great evidence to use against them in court.
- Remote Key Chains: Most systems come with a remote key chain. This will allow you to disarm the system before you even get up to the door. It also allows you to arm the system after you have left the house, rather than rushing out the door after it is armed.
- Smartphone Apps: Most of the updated home security systems allow you to link your system to your Smartphone. When the system is linked up, you can turn the system on and off from anywhere. If you are on your way to work, and realize that you forgot to turn your system on, you can do it without needing to go back home. You can also disarm the system in time for the kids to get home. If you use video surveillance, you can view what is going on in the home in real time from your phone or computer. This is a great way to check up on the kids when they are home alone.
Are Home Security Systems Affordable?
Many people avoid having a home security system installed because they think that it will be too expensive. This is not the case. You can afford a security system on just about any budget. The system itself is relatively inexpensive, and most security systems offer deals for the price of the system often. The monthly fee, which pays for the alarm company to monitor your home, is very affordable as well. Most companies charge between $20 and $50 per month. The monthly fee would depend on the company and the amount of features you have included in your system. You cannot put a price on feeling safe and secure in your home, and knowing that your loved ones are safe as well.
There is nothing more important to you than protecting your home and your family. The best way to sleep easier, knowing that everyone is safe, is to have a home security installed. It is the best way to avoid being another statistic when it comes to home break-ins.
Comments are closed.